Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

One Year

Dear Dad,

It was one year ago today that we were last together.  We spent a wonderful afternoon together with the kids.  Little did we know that it would be our last.  We talked about so many things. Our conversations brought completion to so many aspects of our life together.  Little did I know.  You spoke of your love for our savior, and what his sacrifice created for you and I.  We had fun with the kids, sharing your love for the B-17 bomber, creating memories... precious memories.  We had a late lunch/snack with the kids at your favorite restaurant, and theirs. I am so thankful that I was prompted to see what it was you ordered, I wanted to remember what my dad ate at McDonalds, silly then, thankful now.  A Quarter Pounder, super size french fries and a vanilla shake.  Once again you talked about eating at McDonalds as a young man.  For $1.00 you would order 2 cheeseburgers, french fries, and a coke-and leave with change, 15 cents.  I acted as though I had never heard the story  before.  I had. Many times. Yesterday I went to McDonalds with the boys. I ordered the same meal in memory of you.  I thanked God for you and for the memory of that last meal.  I will do the same every year until I see you again.  I miss you.  It's not like you were a major part of my every day life.  You lived your life and I lived mine.  I miss picking the phone up and calling you just to talk, share a memory, or get your opinion on something.  I miss those phone calls.  One phone call I will never forget is when I called you out of the blue to thank you for making sure I knew Jesus.  I had told you that you may have messed up on some things, maybe a lot of things, but you had got the most important thing right.  The most important thing a parent can do is make sure their child knows Jesus as Lord and Savior, and you had.  You got the most important thing right.  I'm glad I was able to thank you for that.  There's been so many things that have happened this past year that I have wanted to share with you.  So many times I have thought, "Dad's not going to believe this. What would Dad do?  I wonder if he remembers?".    A year brings a lot of changes.  I lot can be learned in a year.  God was merciful to you and us a year ago.  The fullness of his mercy both you and I will never fully comprehend. I thank God for his mercy, and I thank God for you.  I thank God that I was chosen to be your daughter, your one and only child.  I am honored to carry on and hold your memory close to my heart. Until we meet again in Christ's presence I remain proud to be called.....

Your loving daughter,
Kathryn Mae  

No comments: